Technical Director - Structural/Civil Engineer
Do you have proven experience of structural and civil engineering design within the flood and coastal defence sector?
Are you looking to take the next leadership step in your career?
We are seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic Technical Director to join our growing structural and civil engineering design team working on a range of exciting flood and coastal defence and navigation structures projects across the UK.
JBA has a particular focus on water-related projects, with our diverse, multi-talented civil engineering teams delivering flood and coastal defence schemes, as well as habitat creation initiatives, river restoration, natural flood management and civil infrastructure.
We are seeking applicants with a skill set focused on the structural design of flood and coastal defence structures, bridges and waterway navigation structures who have proven consultancy experience. The role will require leadership of the structural discipline across our southern region offices and collaboration with our wider structured leadership team across JBA.
Working as part of a wider engineering team, the Technical Director will become a critical point of contact for structural design related projects and practice and work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team, alongside flood and coastal engineers, geotechnical engineers, drainage engineers, digital design technicians, and environmental specialists. As the lead for the structural discipline the role will require engagement with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will, amongst other things, be responsible for:
- Technical leadership for structural design across our southern offices. This will include having technical oversight of deliverables, responsibility for QA, responsibility for resourcing and management of relationships with existing clients, expansion into new sectors, and building relationships with new clients.
- Leading designs in all stages including feasibility studies, outline designs and detailed designs.
- Accountability in delivery to project programmes and budgets.
- Line management responsibilities for junior staff, providing guidance and support including mentoring towards chartership.
- Fostering a general understanding of structural design across the wider engineering team.
- Supporting the investment in new software and better integration with the Digital Design team.
- Business development and growth.
- Client and relationship management
The post will be based in our office in either our Haywards Heath, RH16 3BW or Portsmouth, PO6 3EZ office. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work, and we offer a mix of home and office working.
- Job Ref: RSO24-05
- Closing date: 31.03.24
- Location: Haywards Heath / Portsmouth
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
We are looking for candidates with a positive and professional attitude, who can demonstrate a proactive and creative approach to problem solving.
The right candidate will have the following experience:
- A robust level of demonstrable experience in leading and delivering civil and structural design within the flood and coastal defence sectors.
- Management and growth of teams.
- Management of client relationships.
- Business development – tenders/bids and fee proposals.
- MEng (or equivalent) in civil or structural engineering.
- Member of a relevant professional body (e.g. ICE or IStructE).
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact Oliver Francis on t: 01444 473652.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route