Senior Environmental Hydraulic Modeller
Do you have proven environmental experience and an interest in mentoring junior staff?
Are you a dynamic team player with a background in site based work?
Due to growing demand across a range of exciting projects we have an exciting opportunity for an Environment Focused Hydraulic Modeller to support our Catchment and River Restoration teams in a variety of work ranging from Natural Flood Management studies through to River Restoration work.
The job will involve:
- Using and analysing datasets, GIS and modelling outputs.
- Providing technical River and Catchment Restoration advice to internal and external clients.
- Leading Environmental Hydraulic modelling (1D and 2D) with a specialism in Hec-RAS and / or TUFLOW.
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary project team to steer design.
- Writing concise and logical reports and reviewing reports.
- Geomorphology, River Restoration and NFM focused Field work.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to junior staff.
- Managing projects and project teams and being responsible for delivering projects to time, budget and quality requirements.
- Presenting at client meetings or project workshops and undertaking stakeholder engagement, with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Assisting with and leading on tenders for commission.
The post would ideally be based in either our Saltaire, BD18 3LF or Coleshill, B46 3AD office, but we can be flexible on location for the right candidate. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
- Job Ref: RNO24-02
- Closing date: 31.03.24
- Location: Coleshill / Saltaire
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
We are looking for well organised, motivated, enthusiastic, flexible individuals who can work on their own or as part of a team. You should have proven environmental experience and an interest in water and the environment. Strong analytical/problem solving skills are essential and candidates need to be able to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
Applicants should have a broad experience and awareness of different NFM and river restoration approaches and the inter-linkages between fluvial geomorphology, hydraulics, hydrology and ecology. We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic individual who is an effective communicator and team player, with a proven ability to work as a key member of a multi-disciplinary team. Candidates should be prepared to travel throughout the UK and Ireland and spend occasional nights away from home.
Applicants should have a geography or science related qualification, degree or equivalent and proven experience delivering work within a professional environment.
Chartered status (ICE, CIWEM, CGeog) is important to JBA and valued by our clients therefore applicants should demonstrate a desire to work towards becoming chartered.
Essential skills required:
- An understanding of Nature Based Solutions to restore and make catchments more resilient.
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary design team with the ability to explain environmental benefits to a wide audience.
- Experience of undertaking site-based field work.
- Proficient in at least one 1D hydraulic modelling software (Flood Modeller) or one 2D hydraulic modelling software e.g HEC-RAS, TUFLOW.
- Have a good understanding of UK catchment hydrology.
- Project Management and building client relationships.
- Ability to mentor and support junior staff.
- Experience using Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
- Report writing and quality assurance (Excel, Word).
- A full UK Driving licence is required.
- Tender preparation.
The following skills would be desirable:
- An understanding of sediment transport, erosion and deposition processes.
- Contract management.
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact Matt Hemsworth on 01675 437750.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route