Senior Data Scientist
Do you have proven experience of machine learning and data analysis?
Are you looking to develop your career within an exciting, multidisciplinary environmental company?
To meet current business requirements and future development aspirations, we currently have an opportunity for a Senior Data Scientist within our growing Technology, Data and Software Development (TDSD) Team in our Wallingford office.
With a background in data science and machine learning for a range of data types and applications, you will be working within project teams across a range of disciplines, from climate resilience to flood modelling, ecology to heritage. These projects are diverse in nature, but could include creating predictive models, transforming large spatial datasets, and creating compelling client-facing data visualisation. This is a technical role but with requirements for team leadership, project management and business development.
Main responsibilities of the role:
- Data engineering and model development for various environmental projects;
- Developing internal tools to aid flood modelling work within JBA;
- Project managing client-facing and internal R&D projects;
- Preparation of technical documentation, including client-facing reports;
- Technical input into business development activities, including proposal development;
- Mentoring and support of technical skills development within the data science team;
- Team leadership including line management responsibilities.
The post will be based in our office in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 9BS. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
- Job Ref: RSO24-01
- Closing date: 31.01.24
- Location: Wallingford
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
The right candidate will have experience of working in a client-focussed organisation and will have excellent report writing and effective communication skills. Candidates should also have a sound appreciation for mathematical and statistical principles and good analytical skills for problem solving.
Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate:
- Curious mindset – helping us identify wider applications of data science within a multidisciplinary consultancy for the benefit of our varied client-base;
- High aptitude for leadership and ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills;
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Core skills required include:
- Postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in Data Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, or another related discipline;
- Proven post-qualification experience in data analysis and machine learning ideally with geospatial data (in research or industry context);
- Experience in developing machine learning or deep learning techniques for variety of data types (numerical and image data);
- Project management experience;
- Strong scientific programming skills: Python, R, etc.
Desirable skills include:
- Willingness to teach and mentor less experienced members of the team;
- Knowledge of AI tools (for image segmentation, object identification, large language models);
- Experience with geospatial data and Geographical Information Systems;
- Line management experience.
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact John Bevington on or 01491 836 688.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route