This course will provide further knowledge of coastal engineering design, including criteria, calculations and conceptual design. It will introduce the standards used to select design criteria, including loads, risk and lifetime considerations. It will provide information on the techniques used to undertake design calculations, and will include a tutorial for undertaking empirical and physical wave overtopping calculations. It will be delivered in the context of applying technical approaches to enable coastal asset owners and planners to review coastal engineering reports and perform simple checks to verify design parameters.
This course is aimed at coastal engineers and managers who need to know more about coastal engineering design, including standards, criteria and calculations for conceptual design.
By the end of this course you will:
• Understand the key coastal processes leading to a coastal risk and how these are mitigated
• Understand the key design criteria, standards and best practice guidance used in the UK
• Understand the types of coastal structures in use
• Understand design criteria such as standard of protection, design life and encounter probability
• Have the ability to undertake simple design calculations including: wave height, overtopping and loads
• Understand levels of confidence for analytical, numerical and physical modelling calculations
• Be able to propose alternative solutions by understanding key coastal processes, and design considerations
Alexander Dane BSc MSc
Alec has been extensively involved in the analysis of coastal flood and erosion risk assessments, aiding in the production of MTPs and PARs to apply for funding for sea defence improvements. He has significant experience in producing sediment budgets, writing a number of papers on the subject. He is also one of the lecturers on the Lancaster University and JBA PgCert course on coastal erosion and flood risk management.
Graham Kenn BSc MSc CEng MICE CEnv MCIWEM C.WEM
Graham has over 13 years’ consultancy experience, working on the detailed design, options appraisal and strategy development for numerous coastal and fluvial defence schemes around the UK. He has extensive coastal engineering design expertise and has developed detailed designs for beach control structures, rock armour revetments, breakwaters, causeways and sea walls. He also co-delivers the Lancaster University and JBA PgCert course on coastal erosion and flood risk management.