Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Are you looking to be a key member of a team taking on diverse and complex ground engineering challenges?
Would you like to work on projects that seek to improve the environment and protect society from the impacts of climate change?
Are you looking to develop your career in a growing, employee-owned company at the heart of climate resilience? We are seeking enthusiastic Geotechnical Engineers with a solid range of experience for an immediate start to join our growing geotechnical team in either Edinburgh or Newcastle. The successful candidate will be part of the geotechnical team for Scotland and the north of England, though will provide technical support to projects across the JBA business. You will be part of a team providing support to our growing Dams & Reservoirs group, working with Panel Engineers on a variety of projects across the UK.
Our workload is primarily focused on flood risk management and coastal defence projects, from the ground investigation and initial optioneering stages, through to detailed design and construction. Our engineers work within multi-disciplinary project teams helping us to find the most economic and sustainable design solutions. We are also on various UK engineering frameworks, including helping the Coal Authority manage their mining legacy, and you will work closely with our hydrogeology teams on the design of new remedial projects. In addition, we also provide support to Network Rail and various local authorities in relation to slope stability investigations and infrastructure design.
The successful candidate will be expected to take a project lead within the team, undertaking and overseeing modelling of complex engineering problems, whilst also mentoring and supporting more junior staff.
As part of this role, you will be expected to attend site visits around the UK with the potential for some site supervision/technical monitoring depending on project requirements.
This role will be based in either our Edinburgh office, in Heriot-Watt University Research Park, or our growing office in central Newcastle, just a short walk from Central Station and the Metro. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
- Job Ref: SBW23-07
- Closing date: 30.06.23
- Location: Edinburgh / Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
We are looking for applicants with effective communication skills, with the ability to work as part of a larger multi-disciplinary team and provide support to junior staff. Self-motivation and a high degree of organisation are essential.
A full UK driving licence is required.
The right candidate will have:
- A BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering or a BSc in Geology/Engineering Geology/ Geotechnical Engineering (or equivalent), ideally with an MSc (or equivalent) in Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering Geology.
- Chartered membership (or working towards) of an appropriate professional body
- Proven experience of analysing ground engineering problems, and geotechnical project management.
- Understanding and experience of Eurocode compliant projects, and other relevant technical standards.
- Experience in designing, specifying, managing and reporting on ground investigations; also, geotechnical design reports
- Supervising junior staff to produce geotechnical reports.
- Knowledge of mining risk assessment, in particular coal mining legacy issues.
- Experience of earthworks design and specification (ideally with site supervision), foundations and earthworks settlement, shallow and deep foundation solutions, ground improvement techniques.
- Experience in slope stability modelling and analysis, retaining solutions, CDM regulations.
- Understanding of seepage analysis would be beneficial.
- Working knowledge of standard industry software suites, e.g. Seep/w, Slope/w, WALLAP, Frew, Alp, Settle3D, plus experience in ground modelling / data management platforms e.g. Leapfrog Works or OpenGround
- Some experience in geoenvironmental matters, such as LCRM guidance, production of preliminary Conceptual Site Models and undertaking GQRA.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact James Howard on 0191 233 0707.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route
Please send a completed JBA application form, together with a current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org