Do you have a passion for ecology and experience of consultancy?
Are you looking to develop your career at an employee-owned company at the heart of climate resilience?
We are currently seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Ecologist to join our teams in either Doncaster, Tadcaster or Peterborough. The role will involve managing and technically leading a range of projects, including multi-disciplinary projects, mentoring staff, and working with other ecologists and environmental specialists across the company.
Many of the projects will relate to our framework success with the Environment Agency, but we also have a diverse portfolio of development and planning projects.
We can also offer additional opportunities for the right candidates to progress as Project Managers and Team Leaders so if you have the drive to progress, we will provide the opportunity for you to develop your career further.
This role will be based in one of our growing offices in Doncaster, Haywards Heath, Tadcaster, Peterborough or Portsmouth, depending on the location of the right candidate. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
- Job Ref: RES23-01
- Closing date: 30.06.23
- Location: Various
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
Candidates will need to be a full member of CIEEM or equivalent (CEcol would be advantageous) with extensive consultancy experience. A full UK driving licence is essential and candidates will need to be able to travel long distances, occasionally staying away from home.
We are looking for highly motivated, organised and conscientious individuals, who demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for ecology. You must be used to working in a team and collaborating with clients. You will also have excellent interpersonal skills and be an effective communicator.
We would be keen to talk to people who share our vision in delivering compliant schemes that seek to maximise biodiversity gain and reduce carbon effectively.
The right candidate will have:
- An excellent knowledge and understanding of wildlife and conservation legislation, including the Habitats Regulations
- Experience in a range of ecological surveys and reporting, including PEAs, EcIAs and HRAs
- Experience of designing, implementing and managing ecological mitigation schemes, including Protected Species licensing
- Project management and business development experience, including preparation of quotations and tenders
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver the objectives of large and complex projects.
Given the nature of the role and the work carried out by JBA Consulting, it would be an advantage if candidates have qualifications and experience in some of the following areas:
- A postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in ecology or related subject
- Hold at least one protected species survey licence
- Specialist experience in aquatic, estuarine and/or coastal ecology
- Biodiversity Net Gain
- Practical understanding of the Water Framework Directive (WFD)
- River restoration techniques
- Habitat restoration/creation and knowledge of nature-based solutions
- Ecological clerk of works
- GIS experience.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Laura Thomas or Rachael Brady on 01302 337798.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route
Please send a completed JBA application form, together with a current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org