Group Sustainability Manager
Are you looking to develop your career at an employee-owned company at the heart of climate resilience?
We are looking for a Senior Chartered Environmentalist with extensive experience in environmental management, assessment, and project management, gained in consultancy and or the public sector.
You will be responsible for delivering our Group-wide Carbon and Resource Use Management Plan and leading the Business towards our carbon net zero objective and report directly to our Director of Group Operations.
This post is at JBA Group level and relates to the delivery of a sustainable JBA business organisation and our net zero objective. It will help support our JBA services indirectly through the implementation of our goals for a sustainable business and reporting on these to Board Members.
On occasions more direct involvement with the delivery of our services to clients might be called upon, such as through specific ad-hoc advice, presentations to staff across all Operating Companies in JBA Group, and providing support to Project Managers and Bid Managers
The role also comes with responsibilities for leading JBA’s Environmental Sustainability Advisory Group, and you will need a good knowledge of project delivery requirements of statutory EIA, SA/SEA, and HRA for projects across a range of sectors including water, waste, energy, transport, and flood risk management.
The successful candidate will, amongst other things, be expected to:
- Lead on the full annual carbon assessment of JBA Group (including all relevant Scope 3 emissions) following best practice guidance.
- Lead on quarterly EMS EPI monitoring data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Lead on compliance with Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) requirements and annual Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) audits/reporting.
Office environmental sustainability:
- Coordinate the JBA Sustainability Champions group.
- Maintain and update the JBA Environmental Reward Scheme and review annual submissions.
- Maintain and update Approved Supplier sustainability criteria and reviews new supplier applications.
- Proactively identify and engage new suppliers to support achievement of JBA net zero targets.
Integrated Management Systems and Policies:
- Input in JBA sustainability-related policies and review wider business policies in relation to business sustainability, in liaison with Group IMS Manager
- Maintain business knowledge on environmental sustainability and sustainable development, with a focus on emerging policy/legislation, business practices, guidance, data capture and analysis, and employee engagement activities.
- Support the development of JBA Group social value framework.
- Maintain Group knowledge and awareness of good practice relating to social value, including policy, guidance, and new social value tools.
The post could be based in any of our UK offices. However, regular travel to our Skipton head office will be required. It is expected that a combination of office and remote working from home will be involved.
- Job Ref: GOP23-01
- Closing date: 31.07.23
- Location: UK
Qualifications and experience
We expect that you will have experience of corporate carbon footprint assessment, following the GHG Protocol Standard and ISO-14001 Environmental Management standard. Having experience of carrying out annual carbon audits and on the identification and delivery of carbon offsetting actions/initiatives would be a benefit together with an understanding of monitoring and measuring our Business’ commitment to the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
For this role you are required to be a good communicator and able to lead on the development of staff training on sustainability and coordinating training tools and assessment processes, including project carbon accounting, design/assessment tools and techniques.
Chartered status is important to JBA, applicants should be a chartered member of a relevant professional body.
A full UK driving licence is desirable.
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact either:
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route