Are you looking to be a key member of a team taking on diverse and complex ground engineering challenges?
Would you like to work on projects that seek to improve the environment and protect society from the impacts of climate change?.
Are you looking to develop your career in a growing, employee-owned company at the heart of climate resilience? We are seeking an enthusiastic early-career Geotechnical Engineer for an immediate start to join our growing geotechnical team in either Edinburgh or Newcastle. The successful candidate will be part of the geotechnical team for Scotland and the north of England, though will provide technical support to projects across the JBA business. You will be part of a team providing support to our growing Dams & Reservoirs group, working with Panel Engineers on a variety of projects across the UK.
Our workload is primarily focused on flood risk management and coastal defence projects, from the ground investigation and initial optioneering stages, through to detailed design and construction. Our engineers work within multi-disciplinary project teams helping us to find the most economic and sustainable design solutions. We are also on various UK engineering frameworks, including helping the Coal Authority manage their mining legacy, and you will work closely with our hydrogeology teams on the design of new remedial projects. In addition, we also provide support to Network Rail and various local authorities in relation to slope stability investigations and infrastructure design.
The successful candidate will be expected to deliver geotechnical elements of projects, with support from senior team members. You will design, manage and assess ground investigations, before helping to analyse and design engineering solutions. You will be exposed to a range of geotechnical problems, from slope stability issues to retaining walls to seepage issues through dams and will be mentored by senior staff to develop your engineering skillset.
This role will be based in either our Edinburgh office, in Heriot-Watt University Research Park, or our growing office in central Newcastle, just a short walk from Central Station and the Metro. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
As part of this role, you will be expected to attend site visits around the UK with some site supervision/technical monitoring depending on project requirements and to give you the experience you need to develop your career.
- Job Ref: SBW23-08
- Closing date: 31.05.23
- Location: Edinburgh / Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
We are looking for applicants with effective communication skills, who are able to work as part of a larger multi-disciplinary team and provide support to junior staff.
Self-motivation and a high degree of organisation are essential. The ability to deliver work on time, manage own workload and be aware of when to ask for support are all required.
A full UK driving licence is required.
The right candidate will have:
- A BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering or a BSc in Geology/Engineering Geology/ Geotechnical Engineering (or equivalent), ideally with an MSc (or equivalent) in Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering Geology
- Be a member of an appropriate professional body, and in the initial stages of working towards Chartered membership
- Started their geotechnical engineering journey but are now looking to analyse more complex ground engineering problems and learn a range of design skills
- Experience in undertaking Eurocode compliant projects, as well as other relevant technical standards
- Experience in designing and specifying ground investigations, also soil/rock logging and ground investigations on site
- Experience in the production of desk studies and Ground Investigation Reports
- Knowledge of mining risk assessment, in particular coal mining legacy issues
- Exposure and initial knowledge on the selection of and design of geotechnical problems, such as shallow foundations, piles, slope stability and retaining walls
- Awareness of the CDM regulations with respect to geotechnical projects
- Knowledge of some standard industry software suites, such as Seep/w, Slope/w, WALLAP, Frew, Alp, Settle3D, etc. would be beneficial, but not essential
- Ideally, experience in geoenvironmental matters such as LCRM guidance and production of preliminary Conceptual Site Models.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact James Howard on 0191 233 0707.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route
Please send a completed JBA application form, together with a current CV to email@example.com