Flood Resilience Analyst
Do you have experience working in flood resilience?
Can you help communities become more resilient to climate change?.
Do you have experience in flood risk management, flood resilience or emergency planning? Are you wanting to make a difference and help communities adapt to climate change and flood risk? Do you have project management experience? We have opportunities at varying levels to join our established and growing flood resilience teams, based at our Wallingford or Haywards Heath offices.
Our teams provide strategic, catchment and site-specific flood and water management advice to Local Authorities, the Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, central government, emergency planners and private sector clients. The work we do is varied and includes supporting many of the 25 Flood and Coastal Resilience Innovation Programme (FCRIP) Projects, Property Flood Resilience (PFR) surveys, Strategic Flood Risk Assessments (SFRAs), Local Flood Risk Management Strategies, Flood Investigations, Incident Management training and development of emergency plans.
The successful candidate will help us grow and shape flood resilience and climate adaptation services across the business and will have experience working with a range of stakeholders, alongside an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of different Risk Management Authorities (RMAs). Our work provides vital support to clients and communities in helping them prepare and adapt to become more resilient to climate change.
Key areas associated with this role will be:
- Responsibility for delivering projects to time and budget for our clients and engaging with project stakeholders.
- Undertaking technical work, which may involve using and analysing GIS datasets, model outputs and mapping, and carrying out site surveys to inform project reporting.
- Working closely with leading experts in flood resilience, climate adaptation and risk management, for clients such as Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, local authorities and the private sector.
The roles can be based in any of our Haywards Heath, Wallingford, Newport or Coleshill offices. A combination of office, site and remote working will be involved in delivery of the role. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
- Job Ref: RSO23-07
- Closing date: 31.12.23
- Location: Coleshill / Haywards Heath / Newport / Wallingford
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
You should have a geography or environmental science related degree or equivalent. Chartered status (ICE, CIWEM or equivalent) is important to JBA and valued by our clients therefore applicants should be chartered or be working towards becoming chartered. We will support you through our professional mentoring programming to gain chartership if required.
Strong and proven communication skills are a prerequisite for this position. We are looking for hardworking professionals who are empathetic towards communities, businesses and individuals who have suffered from flooding and able to demonstrate a desire to help.
You will have the ability to work on your own and as part of a team, able to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally with colleagues, clients and members of the public.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on projects across the UK, involving some travel and occasional working away from home.
Core skills required include:
- Understanding of coastal, fluvial and surface water flood risk policy and management approaches
- Experience of Property Flood Resilience (PFR) scheme implementation
- Project management
- Stakeholder engagement
- Teamwork and mentoring junior staff
- Report writing and quality assurance.
Desirable skills include:
- Direct incident management/ duty role experience
- Contract management and tender preparation
- Policy and strategy development
- Flood warning / forecasting experience
- Experience in, or knowledge of, the Local Plan process.
- GIS (e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS)
- UK driving licence.
Contact Fiona Barraclough on telephone 01491 836688.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route