Do you want to derive solutions that deliver real change and improve resilience to coastal flooding and erosion? Are you motivated by new technology and innovation?
We are looking for a motivated and committed individual to join our Marine and Coastal Risk Management group (MCRM) in our Edinburgh office.
Data science, programming and analysis is now critical to the way that we deliver projects across the industry and is the focus of this position. The role will bring together developing and applying data driven and numerical modelling techniques to understand, quantify and forecast coastal change and erosion to support our growing portfolio of work.
The successful candidate will be able to work independently and derive technical solutions to solve coastal flooding and erosion problems. They will support colleagues through development and application of technical methods to meet project requirements. Knowledge sharing and mentoring is key at JBA. The successful candidate will be expected to work mentor and support less experienced colleagues to develop wider capabilities in MCRM. Enthusiasm and drive are essential, with the candidate being expected to contribute to the wider objectives of the MCRM group.
This role will be based in our Edinburgh office. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Doug Pender t: +44 (0)131 3192940.
Note: JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route
Please apply by completing a JBA application form and returning with a current CV to email@example.com
- Job Ref: SBW23-01
- Closing date: 31.03.23
- Location: Edinburgh
Qualifications and experience
Candidates must have the following:
- A Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (e.g. Engineering, Oceanography, Physical Sciences)
- Chartership or approaching chartership with a relevant organisation (e.g. IMarEST, CIWEM, ICE)
- A strong understanding of processes governing coastal flood risk and erosion
- Experience in managing and manipulating standard Met Ocean datasets (e.g. wave hindcast products, wave or tide gauge observations)
- A track record of delivering FCERM projects in the UK or internationally, and of applying novel data analysis to support FCERM
- Experience of developing and reviewing data analysis tools in Matlab, python or R.
You will be able to demonstrate that you are able to:
- Work effectively within a team, with regard for deadlines and budget
- Communicate clearly, both verbal and written
- Derive and apply novel methods to understand coastal flooding and erosion
- Be proactive and creative in deriving and applying methods and models
- Promote innovation and application of new technology.
Additional desirable skills include:
- Experience developing and applying numerical models to quantify coastal flooding and erosion
- Experience or awareness of standard version control processes (e.g. Azure Dev Ops, GitHub etc.)
- Experience of remote sensing technologies
- Experience of machine learning, artificial intelligence or data emulation methods
- Project management (e.g. NEC contract suite).
A valid driving licence for the UK will be advantageous.