Coastal Hazard Modeller
We are looking for a motivated and committed individual to join our Marine and Coastal Risk Management group (MCRM) in our Skipton or Edinburgh office
The role will involve delivering a variety of coastal modelling, forecasting, and engineering design projects. It will focus on coastal hydrodynamics and bring together developing and applying data driven and numerical modelling techniques to understand, quantify and forecast coastal hazards.
- Job Ref: RNO22-27
- Closing date: 30.11.22
- Location: Edinburgh / Skipton
The successful candidate will be able to work independently, derive technical solutions to solve coastal hazard problems. They will support senior colleagues through management and delivery of projects to meet client requirements. Enthusiasm and drive are essential, with the candidate being expected to contribute to the wider objectives of the MCRM group.
Candidates must have the following:
- A Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject (e.g. Engineering, Oceanography, Physical Sciences).
- Be Chartered or approaching chartership with a relevant organisation (e.g. IMarEST, CIWEM, ICE).
- Experience delivering FCERM projects in the UK or internationally.
- A strong understanding of coastal hydrodynamics and hazards.
- A strong track record of applying numerical models for wave transformation, wave overtopping and flood inundation to assess coastal hazards.
- Experience using GIS products.
- Relevant industry experience.
Candidates will be able to demonstrate that they are able to:
- Be proficient in the use of industry standard coastal hazard models (e.g. SWAN, TUFLOW, EurOtop, TELEMAC etc.)
- Work effectively within a team, with regard to deadlines and budget.
- Communicate clearly, both verbal and written.
- Provide support and guidance to junior staff and pass on knowledge and experience within the team.
- Be proactive and creative in applying models to predict coastal hazards.
- Take responsibility for independent project management and delivery.
- Check and approved technical work against Quality Assurance processes.
- Promote innovation and the application of new technology.
- Follow these links for further details on the type of work we do for coastal hazards within the MCRM
Desirable skills and experience are:
- A strong track record of data analysis in Matlab, python or R.
- Experience in statistical and extreme value modelling.
- Experience in coastal sediment transport or contaminant modelling.
- Project management under Prince/ Agile and / or NEC3/4 or similar.