Are you an experienced Civil Engineer?
Are you a specialist in Flood or Coastal Engineering?
To meet our growing business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for an experienced Principal Engineer with a background in civil/structural engineering. We are looking for candidates with extensive technical knowledge and the ability to lead projects and work pro-actively with Clients and construction teams.
You will play a leading role in the delivery of Flood and Coastal Risk Management (FCRM) projects. The role will involve provision of project governance and technical direction on appraisal, detailed design and construction schemes.
Projects are likely to include the full lifecycle of scheme delivery: business case development, options appraisal, concept design, detailed design and construction. It is expected that the candidate will mentor and manage staff and input to bid and tender preparation. In addition, the successful candidate will support the Senior Management Team with strategic business development within JBA Consulting. The role could potentially include line management duties at the outset or in the future.
You will work closely with colleagues from across JBA’s offices, primarily on the Environment Agency’s Next Generation Supplier Agreement frameworks. You would be joining a dynamic team in Peterborough who are enjoying project success which has been recognised by industry awards.
The successful applicant will be based at our Peterborough office PE2 6FZ, although flexible and agile working is available where this provides mutual benefit.
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact Andrew Ford on 01733 715960.
Note: JBA runs a comprehensive Graduate Programme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route
Qualifications and experience
Key competencies required for the role:
A degree in civil and or structural engineering is preferred though other relevant professional backgrounds will be considered. It is expected that the applicant will be a Chartered member of a professional institution such as the ICE, IStructE or CIWEM. JBA has a structured training programme which you will be expected to support in a mentoring capacity.
- Capable of working without supervision to a high technical standard.
- Expertise in relevant guidance, policy, design codes and software packages
- Ability to produce, check and review reports, documents, and engineering calculations within a wide variety of projects.
- Project and contract management competence and aptitude
- Excellent teamworking and communication skills
- Familiarity with the FCERM business case development (Five-case model, FCERM Appraisal Guidance and Treasury Green Book)
- Familiarity with Environment Agency Minimum Technical Requirements (MTRs)
- Experience of managing NEC3/4 contracts
- Candidates would be expected to have substantial experience of UK consultancy and/or design and build projects.
- Experience of leading projects at a senior level
- Experience across a range of project stages (feasibility, outline design, detailed design, construction)
An ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in:
- Development of outline and detailed design solutions, and preparation of specifications for flood risk management projects.
- Managing projects, budgets and NEC3/4 contracts
- Client liaison, communication and presentations,
- Development and Coordination of multi-disciplinary design of flood risk management solutions.
- Technical leadership in ensuring FCRM project deliverables meet clients’ needs, including taking ownership and responsibility for the quality of project work to meet the highest standards.
- Experience of leading and winning tender opportunities
- Project management/direction with oversight of civil, hydraulic and environmental inputs, on a variety of flood risk management projects
- Liaising with clients, and other project and management team members
- Experience of Safety in Design and Designer’s responsibilities under CDM
- Championing technical innovation to improve efficiency and quality of delivery, ensuring effective dissemination of latest methodologies and tools
- Providing insight and technical input to business development activities.
A full UK driving licence is essential.