- 31st March 2017
- Posted by: Joanne Woodhouse
- Category: Projects
Originally envisaged for use in emergency planning only, use of Reservoir Flood Mapping has now evolved to include reservoir risk designation, spatial planning and management of reservoirs by owners and operators.
In addition to this the Flood Risk Regulations (2009) require the Environment Agency to review flood hazard mapping every six years. The new specification also captured the technical advances in hydrology, dam break analysis, DTM improvements and computational hydraulic modelling to provide higher quality outputs, more efficiently and cost effectively.
In late 2016 we tendered for and were awarded a national scale commission to prepare updated reservoir mapping using the updated RFM specification. This involved us leading a consortium comprising of Mott MacDonald and BMT WBM.
All modelling will be prepared using TUFLOW GPU software running on an extended JFlowGrid hardware platform, at an external data centre that required an investment of £150,000. This cloud based solution enables all three consultants to securely generate modelling and mapping outputs to simulate breaches for 1,865 large raised reservoirs in England.
The work makes use of an innovative automated workflow process with an ArcGIS™ front end and HTCondor model scheduler. Initially the project will deliver outputs for the first 100 reservoirs by July 2017 so that the methods and processes can be reviewed and refined, before completion of the remainder of the outputs by 2019.
- Delivers demonstrably improved Reservoir Flood Mapping
- Leverages the extensive RFM experience of all members of the consortium
- Takes advantage of our experience at running large scale, high compute intensity processes and augments established GPU modelling capacity
- TUFLOW GPU is industry standard software that utilises the parallelised processing capabilities of GPU cards to achieve significant run time benefits.
Want to know more?
For further information on this project please contact James Cheetham