- 6th October 2017
- Posted by: Joanne Woodhouse
- Category: Blog
Anna Beasley, Principal Analyst, presented at the CIWEM Surface Water Management conference with Barry James, Strategic Manager at Somerset County Council, on 20 September 2017.
Alongside other speakers and topics, Anna and Barry described how sustainable drainage is being explored and promoted in Somerset following the 2012 and 2013/14 floods. Their presentation described a review of the effectiveness of SuDS delivered through the planning process in the region. Desk studies and site visits of a sample of development sites demonstrated a lack of evidence of good practice in design, effective implementation and maintenance of such schemes. There was also found to be a lack of good practice on many construction sites with gullies and SuDS being blocked with sediment. The review recommended:
- More support for planners and LLFAs and a better audit trail for checking and approval
- Better enforcement of existing guidance and best practice on designing for exceedance climate change and urban creep, source control and management train, water quality, biodiversity, amenity and other ‘multiple benefits’
- Construction Method Statements, Maintenance Plans and site inspections during and post construction.
Anna commented, “It was an interesting and timely conference which discussed, among other things:
- How to improve the uptake and standard of SuDS within the current legislative framework
- Partnership working on surface water flooding
- Monetising the benefits of sustainable drainage
- Technological solutions to surface water management.”
Other members of staff attended the conference to benefit from the discussions including Daryl Taylor, Senior Engineering based in our Exeter office, Marta Lubiejewska-Jones, Chartered Senior Engineer from our Coleshill office, and Amy Evans, Senior Analyst in our Newport office.
Want to know more?
With over 20 years’ experience in flood and water management, we are the leaders in our field delivering cutting edge solutions for our clients. From flood risk management to protecting your property and assets from floods, we can help you in many different areas and projects.