Knowledge of river hydromorphology and geomorphological dynamics is essential for sustainable river design and management. It facilitates the assessment of risk, increases understanding within the Environmental Impact Assessment process, helps alleviate flooding impacts and informs in-stream flow requirements system restoration and ecology.
The course has three main objectives
- To introduce a geomorphological approach to sustainable river management
- To present the methods used in a geomorphological assessment and fluvial audit
- To discuss the situations where river geomorphology can be usefully applied and to indicate where further guidance/information can be found
Who should attend
The course is aimed at practitioners requiring a basic understanding of geomorphology and hydromorphology and value to those who are seeking a more catchment-wide perspective for flood relief planning, Water Framework Directive related compliance and strategic restoration studies. The course is also an opportunity to discuss with the course presenters and other attendees, the best practice approaches to (and experiences in) applying methods in river geomorphology/hydromorphology.
- Introduction to river geomorphology/hydromorphology and applications appraisalThe geomorphological approach to river management
- UK river types and their significance
- Best practice field assessment methods
- Introduction to geomorphological design guidance
- Introduction to monitoring and post-project
- Discussion sessions
Bespoke course option
This course can be combined with the Practical River Functioning and Restoration Guidance field vist to make a two day course which can be tailored to specific requirements. For further details and costs contact Felicity Clarke, Training Co-ordinator
- Introductory one day course
- A comprehensive set of course notes will be provided
- Counts as 6 CPD/CET hours
Sebastian Bentley BSc FRGS MCIWEM C.WEM
Seb is JBA's Hydromorphology Lead and he specialises in river restoration. He has developed numerous river restoration schemes for a variety of clients with JBA. He has succussfully designed restoration schemes that work with natural processes to fulfil multiple local and WFD targets.
Share this training course
Dates for this training course
There are currently no scheduled courses.
Please contact Felicity Clarke to discuss your specific requirements...