Our capabilities and experience in Wales are extensive and long standing, giving us the benefit of localised knowledge and experience, essential in offering you an informed and quality service. In 2009 we opened our Newport office to provide local delivery of our full range of Environmental, Engineering and Flood Risk Management services across Wales. This has enhanced the service already offered to our clients from our other offices, including Warrington, which have established an excellent reputation for service and innovation.
JBA understands the different legislative and socio-economic priorities and backdrop to working in Wales and our services and experience reflect this.
We are a leading consultant to Environment Agency Wales supporting the delivery of flood risk and environmental services. Our projects include:
- Use of our award winning flood modelling software, JFlow+, to develop the first Flood Map of Wales. Regular updates are made through both broadscale modelling techniques and detailed flood risk mapping studies.
- The production of the first surface water flood risk maps for Wales.
- Drafting the Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment (PFRA) guidance for LLFAs and advising Welsh Government on the definition of Significant Flood Risk Areas across Wales.
- The production of Catchment Flood Management Plans in Wales, essential documents in setting the long-term policy for flood risk management.
- Completion of a programme to define and categorise potential Flood Warning Areas across North Wales.
- Reviewing models supplied to Environment Agency Wales from Flood Consequence Assessments in support of development proposals.
- Constructing flood forecasting models to be used in real time to predict flooding and to trigger issue of flood warnings.
- Extensive training of Environment Agency Wales staff in hydraulic theory, hydraulic modelling and hydrology.
- Detailed flood modelling using the latest methods in survey, 1D/2D hydraulic modelling and hydrology. Key communities that we have already modelled include Bridgend, Newport, Pencoed, Whitland, Ammanford, Pontarddulais and Maesteg.
We can support local authorities with expert advice as they take on their responsibilities as Lead Local Flood Authorities (LLFAs). Services include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Flood Consequence Assessments
- Flood Risk Management Plans
- Emergency Planning and exercising
- Asset performance and system reviews
- Development of flood risk asset registers using JScreen
- Asset website viewing and reporting
- Flood defence options identification and appraisal
- Property-level Protection schemes
We have been at the forefront of the application of TAN15 (Technical Advice Note 15) that deals with flood risk in the Welsh planning system and is substantially different from the English equivalent. We can help developers from masterplanning to detailed drainage design, to site and design development, which is safe and sustainable. See more information on our Flood Consequence Services here.
JBA excels in all aspects of civil, highway and water engineering, from inspection work through feasibility studies to detail design and preparation of contract documentation and have experienced qualified site supervision staff available to ensure construction exceeds specifications. Further information on our engineering services can be found here, with recent projects in Wales including:
- Scour assessments for Network Rail.
- The design of major refurbishment and hydraulic control works at Greenpark Weir, Port Talbot, for Associated British Port and Environment Agency Wales.
- The assessment and design of trash screens and abstraction control structures.
At JBA we value the environment. It is at the heart of our work and a priority in all that we do. Our award winning Environment Team includes environmental and water resource planners, hydromorphologists, hydrogeologists, ecologists, landscape architects and renewal energy experts. We offer a comprehensive set of services to successfully plan and deliver a broad range of environmental projects.
We have undertaken a large number of interesting and informative projects for Welsh Government, Environment Agency Wales and private organisations, with innovation, environmental protection and sustainable development at their core.
We are currently providing ongoing support to the Welsh Government in the development of its national Next Generation Broadband for Wales scheme, which will deliver next generation broadband infrastructure across the whole country. As the sole environmental consultancy involved with the scheme, the largest project in Wales, we are advising the Welsh Government on all aspects of sustainable development and environmental regulation. Other projects from our office in Wales include:
- EU Funding in Wales - Opportunities for Investing in the Natural Environment, Environment Agency
- Payments for Ecosystems Services - Pilot Project, Rivers and Canal Trust & DEFRA
- Landscape Visualisation Impact Assessments in Wales
For further details on our range of services and capabilities, please see our full listing of services.
We welcome the opportunity to understand more about your business requirements. For enquiries, please contact George Baker (01633 413 514).